Recovery Reporting

Tell us how we can improve this project
VK5QI

Recovery Reporting

Post by VK5QI »

Hi,

I'm one of the SondeHub developers.

Recently we've seen a lot of cases where radiosondes aren't tracked down to the ground, and are only received when being recovered by people running portable receiver systems like rdz_ttgo_sonde and MySondyGo. While rdz_ttgo_sonde uploads positions to SondeHub, MySondyGo doesn't, so often we don't get the landing position recorded. (MySondyGo not uploading telemetry is a separate issue, something that should be discussed).

Once a sonde is recovered, the recovery is then ideally reported on websites like Radiosondy.info and on the SondeHub tracker.
I don't know about Radiosondy.info, but on Sondehub we have a fairly easy to use API ( https://api.v2.sondehub.org/recovered ) which allows submitting recovery reports. Recovery reports uploaded to SondeHub automatically get added to RadioSondy.info, and vice-versa.
You can see details of the structure that is uploaded to the SondeHub API here: https://github.com/projecthorus/sondehu ... ib.js#L124
SondeHub users currently report recoveries on the SondeHub tracker website, where they can either use the last-reported position of the radiosonde (which can be quite wrong if it's not tracked down to the ground!), or their device's reported location.

A really good addition for MySondyGo users would be the ability to submit a recovery report to SondeHub or RadioSondy (or both?), making use of the last received telemetry from the radiosonde. This would ensure that the recovery report has an accurate position and make reporting recoveries easier for users.

There are some subtleties to consider with respect to serial number formats, but these are fairly easy to deal with.

It would be even better if the received telemetry was uploaded to SondeHub, but I believe there are some fields missing in the MySondyGo API that make this difficult.

Thanks,
Mark VK5QI
VK5QI

Re: Recovery Reporting

Post by VK5QI »

Apologies, this should have been put in the MySondy Finder section of the forum.